With the weather in the UK entering the monsoon season at the moment I have been spending a lot of time in the how to CB radio office instead of tramping around the Worcestershire country side so decided to have a go at restoring a CB radio gem.
Never stuck for something to do but had enough of staring at my computer screen I have decided to post how my vintage radio collection gained two great additions.
On an outing to a local boot sale came across two Harvard 410T handheld CB radios complete with the original leather carry cases and telescopic aerials for the tidy sum of £5, one thing I must point out about the aerials is that they are so long and fragile that to find one radio with it still intact is great but to see a pair is rare happening.
Had a quick talk with the seller and it turns out they were left in the loft and forgotten about for many years, I could see that the radios needed some TLC but nothing that was going to be a problem so took my prize and paid the money
A closer look when I returned home revealed that both units had been stored with batteries left in resulting in some corrosion of the compartment to store the batteries but nothing that a good scrub with some wire wool couldn’t fix. Also some of the dials felt a bit loose which was most likely if as the seller had said that they had been stored for some time.
Wasn’t really expecting a immediate result when I finally got some power into the CB’s but was amaze to see them both power up, some of the bars were missing on the old school 2 digit LCD display but they actually worked!. Running a soldering iron across the joints on the displays fixed the problem with the bars and all that was left was to push the transmit button and see if the radios would send out a signal or catch fire.
A moment of doubt set in just before hitting the button and that maybe I should open it up and do a few tests before committing myself but faced with a multitude of others things that needed doing poking around inside a twenty year old CB was out of the window.
No smoke and no fire, just a reassuring loud whistle of feedback as my radios were very close to each other. What a result both radios showed a full 4 watt output when put through a RF meter with a good voice modulation.
Couldn’t believe my luck as the 410T holds a special memory for me being the very first radio I ever owned. The original radio has gone to the silicon graveyard having been dragged up one mountain too many in the search of long distance contacts.
All cleaned up my new radios now take pride of place among all the other bits and pieces scraped together over the years.